Mound View Cemetery
Mound View cemetery is located in the northern part of Mount Vernon and is owned and operated by the City of Mount Vernon. It is made up of just over 41 acres.
Mound View was established in 1833 and is named after an ancient Indian mound, which is located in the western part of the cemetery. There were no complete records kept until 1853. There are burials whose death dates occurred prior to 1833; however, it is believed that most were persons who were moved here from the Presbyterian Cemetery, which was located behind the Presbyterian Church at about 105 East Chestnut Street.
According to Ms. Blanche George, a former clerk at the cemetery office from 1937 to 1947, there were no full-time clerks until a couple years before she came to work here. Prior to that, the sexton or the superintendent of the Cemetery maintained the records.
There are many persons interred in the cemetery who were important, both to local and national history. Some of those persons, special monuments and buildings are listed in the self-guided walking tour.
Information about the charges for graves and other fees may be obtained at the cemetery office, where you can also receive a current copy of the rules and regulations.
Click here for Self Guided Walking Tour
Debbie S. Briscoe
307 Wooster Road
Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050-3241
Office Telephone: (740) 393-9581
Office Hours: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM